Sucker for Stripes

I’ve been in my house for almost a year and I’m at the point where I’m working on the finishing touches. I’m a sucker for stripes and never get tried of them, so after hanging my TV on the wall I thought they would be the perfect accent. After doing a bunch of research online for the best practices on painting stripes I decided to tackle the project and below is my take on it.


  • Tape measure
  • Pencil
  • 3m painters tape
  • Level
  • Disposable roller and paint tray
  • Paint for your stripes (assuming you like the base color already on your wall)


  1. Mark out the stripes – Measure the total height of your wall from bottom of your crown molding to the top of your baseboard. It’s best to use odd number of stripes. My total wall height was 90 inches, divide that by 7 = 12.8 inch stripes. If you want bigger stripes divide by 9, if you want smaller stripes divide by 5. Doing odd numbers gives you the ability to leave your base color as the top and bottom stripes, that way you don’t have to touch the crown molding or baseboards when painting. Cuts your time in half. Best tip I found, if you have “leftover” inches at the bottom, it is okay to make that stripe a little bigger, no one will notice! 
  2. Tape out the stripes – I have a nifty laser level but I went old school with this and used just a regular level (I think I just haven’t taken the time to learn how to use the laser level). Just guide the level along the wall as you tape. Tip: I used pieces of tape as “Do not paint” markers on the sections that were not to be painted white.
  3. Paint! Once the second coat of paint is on and the stripe is fully filled in, take the tape off. No need to wait until it is completely dry, otherwise the tape will be glued to the wall.

Use disposable rollers and painter tray, it will only cost you a few dollars and definitely better to just throw that away then taking the time to clean them. I have a bad habit of leaving wet paint on brushes, so I take all measures to prevent this. But it never fails because as I type this it makes me realize I forgot to wash the brush I used to paint the corners (picture me running to my shed to confirm this and immediately putting the brush into cleaner).

In case you are wondering, my base wall color is Benjamin Moore Abalone and for the stripes I just used leftover paint that my trim and ceilings are painted which is Dunn Edwards White (eggshell finish). I still have accessorizing to finish and to hide those cable cords but that will be done in time. I read a quote the other day that I loved and made me appreciate what I have done over the last year and not worry that everything isn’t complete yet…”A home takes time to grow and become personal.” -Sania Pell, stylist/writer






Weekend Warrior Project # 3 – Side Chairs

The “before” photo pretty much sums up this project. I instantly saw these diamonds in the rough and knew I had to have them. At $30 a piece it would be hard to pass them up.

BEFORE: Let me repeat, I got these for $30 A PIECE!!



Here is how I did it:

  • The fabric I found at Joann – the week they had 40% off of designer fabric. For about 3 yards it costed  around $90.
  • I was lucky enough to have a family friend recover the cushions (all it cost me was a good bottle of white wine!).
  • I primed and painted the chairs with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x Coverage Primer/Paint in Dark Walnut (satin finish). Each chair took a can and a half, 3 cans needed in total.
  • Total cost of the project: about $170

A new favorite…

Whenever I see the Martha Stewart’s name on anything, I’m drawn in like a moth to the flame…so while shopping at Home Depot I spotted Martha’s new line of special finish paints and immediately had to figure out what to use the paint on. Good thing I’m knees deep in DIY projects since buying the house.  The paint comes in a variety of finishes  including metallic glaze, glitter, textured metallic, terra cotta, crackle, etc. Available at The Home Depot, $5.48-8.98 for a 10oz. I used the Metallic Paint in Vintage Gold.



Weekend Warrior Project # 2 – Mirror

I’m working on decorating my guest bedroom and decided to make a vanity out of my current desk (making a new desk for my office will be another weekend project). I needed a mirror and scored another great find at my favorite antique store. Purchased this mirror for only $40!

BEFORE: Sorry I didn’t take a better before shot!


AFTER: I wasn’t in love with the oak finish so I decided it needed a face lift.



Here is how I did it:

  • I used painter’s tape (the blue colored kind) and kraft paper to cover the mirror edges.
  • I primed the entire mirror with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x Coverage Primer. Again let me stress, if you haven’t been using this paint to refinish things then I highly suggest you start using it. It’s a spray can, paint and primer in one so it cuts your project time in half!
  • The color is Martha Stewart Specialty Paint in Vintage Gold, which I painted on using a regular paint brush. This needed about 3 coats of paint.
  • Total cost of the project: $46


Weekend Warrior Project #1 – Hutch

BEFORE: Got this lovely hutch at my favorite antique store here in Phoenix for $60.



I couldn’t be helper with the way this turned out! Here is how I did it:

  • I primed the entire hutch with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x Coverage in white. If you haven’t been using this paint to refinish things then I highly suggest you start using it. It’s a spray can, paint and primer in one so it cuts your project time in half!
  • The gray color is Benjamin Moore’s Stone 2112-40. I find that the small sponge rollers work best in the paint application for these type of projects.
  • Added a new crystal knob from Joan’s for $2.50 on sale.
  • Total cost of the project: $35