The recipe originally called for spinach, but let’s be honest I forgot to buy spinach and ended up substituting with black beans. Perfect recipe for those Meatless Mondays. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Quinoa Patties:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of black beans
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups of cooked quinoa (I made 1 cup of uncooked and had leftovers)
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
Lemon Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain Non-Fat Geek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used half of a lemon)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Next time I make this I might consider adding cucumbers to the sauce to make it more like a tzatziki
Lemon-Dill Yogurt Sauce:
- Whisk together the yogurt, scallions, lemon juice, and dill in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate the sauce for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium-size bowl.
- Add the eggs, quinoa, black beans, feta, dill, lemon zest, and black pepper and mix well. Mix in the bread crumbs and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow the bread crumbs to absorb some of the moisture.
- Add a little olive to a grill pan and heat to medium-high tempature.
- Form quinoa patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Grill the patties until they’re cooked through and browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with lemon-dill yogurt sauce.
Recipe adapted from this version: http://paninihappy.com/spinach-feta-quinoa-cakes-plus-5-quick-dinners-on-the-panini-press/