Every summer muddled drinks are on the top of my must-have list. I love the pure freshness that you get when muddling fruits and herbs. Earlier this year when I was in Austin, Texas I discovered jalapeño tequila and instantly knew I had to try to make my own. Both of these things add up to be my summer drink mix: tequila + spicy + muddling = the Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita. This drink recipe is the perfect balance of refreshing with just a kick of heat.
Jalapeno infused Tequila:
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 mason jar (I used a pint size)
- Silver (Blanco) Tequila (enough to fill the jar)
- Slice jalapeno and place in the jar.
- Pour and fill jar with tequila.
- Add lid and let it sit for 3-5 days in a cool/dark place. Once a day shake the jar.
- Strain out jalapeno slices/seeds and pour back into mason jar. I keep the jar in the fridge, it’s always good to have chilled tequila on hand.
Cucumber Jalapeno Margarita:
- 2 oz Jalapeno Tequila
- 5 thinly sliced pieces of cucumber (save one slice for garnish)
- 2 oz of margarita mix. My favorite is Tres Agaves since it is organic and contains just lime juice and agave nectar. Or substitute with 1 oz fresh lime juice and 1 oz agave nectar.
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 1 slice of jalapeno (for garnish)
- Margarita salt (I prefer no salt but it makes for a better photo!)
- Muddle 4 slices of cucumber in shaker glass until the juices are released. If you don’t have time to make the jalapeno infused tequila then add 4 slices of jalapeno to be muddled.
- Pour in remaining ingredients into the shaker with a scoop of ice. Add top and shake well.
- Prep glass by rimming it with a lime wedge and dipping into salt. Add 5 ice cubes.
- Pour mixture into glass. Garnish with cucumber and jalapeno slice.
One thought on “Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita”
Remember to remove the seeds of the jalapeno unless you want it extra spicy. Use silver or blanco tequila. If you leave the seeds you should only let the tequila infuse for maximum 2 days. If you are going to make a large quantity of cucumber ritas then you can puree the cucumber and add to the drink with a squeeze bottle. Also use English cucumbers which are seedless and has great flavor. 1 oz. tequila, 3/4 oz. agave nectar, 3/4 oz. fresh lime juice and a squeeze of the cucumber puree. Shake in cocktail shaker around 30 times and strain over ice. Garnish with a lime wheel. This is a skinny version of the Jalapeno Cucumber Margarita. Cheers!