Every summer muddled drinks are on the top of my must-have list. I love the pure freshness that you get when muddling fruits and herbs. Earlier this year when I was in Austin, Texas I discovered jalapeño tequila and instantly knew I had to try to make my own. Both of these things add up to be my summer drink mix: tequila + spicy + muddling = the Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita. This drink recipe is the perfect balance of refreshing with just a kick of heat.
Jalapeno infused Tequila:
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 mason jar (I used a pint size)
- Silver (Blanco) Tequila (enough to fill the jar)
- Slice jalapeno and place in the jar.
- Pour and fill jar with tequila.
- Add lid and let it sit for 3-5 days in a cool/dark place. Once a day shake the jar.
- Strain out jalapeno slices/seeds and pour back into mason jar. I keep the jar in the fridge, it’s always good to have chilled tequila on hand.
Cucumber Jalapeno Margarita:
- 2 oz Jalapeno Tequila
- 5 thinly sliced pieces of cucumber (save one slice for garnish)
- 2 oz of margarita mix. My favorite is Tres Agaves since it is organic and contains just lime juice and agave nectar. Or substitute with 1 oz fresh lime juice and 1 oz agave nectar.
- 1 oz Triple Sec
- 1 slice of jalapeno (for garnish)
- Margarita salt (I prefer no salt but it makes for a better photo!)
- Muddle 4 slices of cucumber in shaker glass until the juices are released. If you don’t have time to make the jalapeno infused tequila then add 4 slices of jalapeno to be muddled.
- Pour in remaining ingredients into the shaker with a scoop of ice. Add top and shake well.
- Prep glass by rimming it with a lime wedge and dipping into salt. Add 5 ice cubes.
- Pour mixture into glass. Garnish with cucumber and jalapeno slice.